Last Friday night I did something I never in a million years ever wanted to do.The young men in our ward planned this activity, well a hike, to climb Mt. Timpanogos.Not just a hike but a midnight hike.They invited the YW to go to. What the...?
I thought this was the craziest thing I had ever heard.Why would anyone do this? Sounds dangerous - and they want to take my daughter?NO WAY! but she thought it sounded cool/fun and so I told her. Alright - go for it.
I told the other leaders there is NO WAY I would go.
NO WAY-- I tell ya!!
So here I am in 'the meadow' almost to the top of Mt. Timpanogos.
Here's Deb who guilted me into going with her.
I finally decided about 15 minutes before they left. Riley started to chicken out and I knew I had to go so she would go too. I felt like I was going to throw-up I was so scared.
I stuck with Deb, we were the SLOW group!
We did go slow but WE DID IT!
We hiked up the mountain from 2 am and reached the Meadow at 7 am.
We watched the sunrise and then had to walk back down the mountain.7 miles up and then
7miles back down. It was painful! The hardest thing I've ever done in my life.
I will never do it again, but it was fun and I'm so glad I did it! I feel like I accomplished something I never thought I could do in a million years.
Riley went too but she was faster than I was so I don't have any pictures of her.
She made if farther up to the Saddle of the mountain.
Deb and I were lucky to get to the Meadow without our legs falling off. They were already numb.
We had not slept all night and were exhausted.
Walking back down the mountain was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. We didn't make it down until about 11:30 am.
Poor Riley had major blisters on her feet from getting her shoes wet on the way up. She was in a lot of pain on the way down.
Here are some highlights:
Deb seeing EYES in the pitch dark- scaring the tar out of us! It ended up being a deer but it could have been a cougar - right?
The 'boulder fields' - they kicked our butt!
Edward waiting for me in the meadow!
Feeling like a rockstar when we passed some young college guys who were giving up.
Deb sparing me a square but wishing she had spared me two squares.
GROSS!
The MOUNTAIN MAN - grizzly adams
Beer Belly man - oh how I wanted to rub it!
our awesome rock!
and I can finally feel my legs again! WOOT WOO!
the end!
9 comments:
Wow! I hiked to the top of Timp in my young college days. It was long and hard then, I couldn't imagine doing it now. YM think of the craziest activites!
Way to go Jeannie - you are a rock star! I love the picture of you in the meadow. CUTE!
Oh, and in reference to your Bear World comment on our blog - Brian likes to say the slogan of Bear World is: "Bear World. Clothing optional." :)
jean that is AWSOME!!!! i want to hike timp but never have, and i think the night thing just makes it all the more spicey!!! im so glad those eyes were deer and not a cougar.. i think he would have eatin those numb legs of yours.
Woot Woo is right!! Way to go! That is no easy hike...but you are a rockstar, so of course you did it :)
Nice work! Maybe that should be on my "to do" list before we leave... nah!
How come I didn't come?
Can i get a whooowhooot! Way to go Jean! Those college dudes at the end didn't know it was rockstar day on the Mountain:)
WOW! So Impressive! I think I would have been a total grump not getting any sleep and would have complained the whole way. I can't believe you still had a smile on your face when you finished. But I guess when you've accomplished something like that, you can't help but smile. Awesome!
Time to update your blog....
GOOD FOR YOU!!! I don't think I've done that hike since I was 18! Fun to see what you've been up to. We need to catch up soon! :)
Post a Comment